CR

CR

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Some Light Reading

I think it is pretty clear to everyone who knows me that I am committed to the lifestyle of a runner. This extends not only to my training and racing, but has come to touch nearly every aspect of my daily life. I have the gear, the cool shoes, and a shelf of trophies, bibs, medals, and awards. I run the races and would readily be recognized in local running stores. While I am far from the most decorated runner out there, I am certainly committed and won't shy away from it. I make this commitment, however, not because I am seeking some particular "end" - a slimmer waistline, a faster 10k, or more recognition. I have committed to this lifestyle because I believe that the lifestyle itself has immense intrinsic value. In the words of the great Dr David Horton, "This is who I am. This is what I do." In my life right now I look with awe at others for whom running and movement have achieved an almost enlightened, dare I say spiritual place in their lives. In that vein I have picked up a copy of the book "The Marathon Monks of Mount Hiei" by John Stevens.

From the few pages I have read so far, the Tendai monks of Mount Hiei develop the ability to run dozens of miles per day, every day, for years on end, subsisting on little more than a meager vegetarian diet and very little sleep. What we do for pleasure or recreation the monks see as a path to simplicity and spiritual enlightenment. They don't wear Hokas, carry Hammer gels, or wear the newest Ultimate Direction packs. They just run in their robes and straw sandals, in any weather, all day, every day. I'll comment again when I have finished the book but for now let's just say I'm already quite taken with their story.....

Cheers!