CR

CR

Monday, February 3, 2014

Gear

Since I am a bit of a gear junkie I thought I'd mention a few things I used this weekend during the race. With all the other issues I dealt with, I was lucky in that I did not have any blisters, any chafing, bleeding, rubbing raw, or any other external discomfort. All my problems were solely "internal". That's a huge deal when running an ultra. 

First my shoes - Hoka One One Stinson Evo. These things were perfect for the gnarly terrain in Huntsville. They were comfortable, they absorbed the roots well, and were still light enough to allow me to run some hard miles at the end. As far as the Hoka product line goes, I am a believer. I've had 2 pairs and they've both been great for me.


Another thing that helped was that I had zero issues with sand, dirt, rocks, or anything else getting into my shoes and causing trouble. Thanks to the OR Flex Tex gaiters for that. I got a heavy-duty pair of gaiters and they were well worth it. Nothing got through these bad boys.




For socks, I am an injinji guy. Great fit, very comfortable, and never had a blister. You can't go wrong. I coated them with 2Toms anti-blister powder for extra protection. Worked like a champ.




My shorts were the new The North Face Better Than Naked running shorts. They were very lightweight, very comfortable and never gave me any problems. I guess the best thing you can say about a pair of shorts is that I never really noticed them! Lastly I went with CEP compression sleeves not only for the benefits of compression but for added protection against any possible poison ivy or other nasty stuff that may have been near the ground. (You NEVER want to have to dealing with itching and burning, but certainly not in the middle of a hundred miler....)

While I did all my long runs and raced in the Hokas, I did most of my weekly training miles in the Altra Torin. I was actually going to go with them for the race but went with the Hokas solely for protection against the rough terrain. Torins are a great shoe and I look forward to checking out the new Altra Olympus.




Cheers! 



No comments:

Post a Comment