CR

CR

Monday, June 2, 2014

Worthy Read

Zach Bitter at the 2013 Desert Solstice 100

"The problem, in my humble opinion, is how we currently fuel and study ourselves. Most, if not all, of studies that I have seen that show the detrimental effects of "chronic cardio" have been performed on individuals following a diet that I would argue is more at fault than the actual activity of running (processed foods void of any real nutrients or, just as bad, "fake" foods pumped with synthetic nutrients). I agree that training at levels as high as I do is probably above that of what would be considered necessary for general survival in our early existence, and that I am fighting an uphill battle in terms of recovery. However, I think it can be a battle that is ultimately won if nutrition is a key aspect of the training program. I also believe that doing what you truely love is equally as important as trying to live as long as your body will physically let you. Personally, I'd rather live to be 70 and enjoy every minute of it doing what I am passionate about, than live to be 90 having led a life that didn't allow me to realize my passions. What about you?"

Excerpt taken from a great post by Zach Bitter, elite ultrarunner, on his blog (found here). Zach holds the US record in the 100 mile with an amazing 11:47:21. When guys like him speak, I tend to listen. I am glad that many of my own philosophies about fueling, nutrition, and training happen to align with his. I hope that means that we're doing something right here...

No comments:

Post a Comment