CR

CR

Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday Menu

I had planned out a relatively simple fall-back meal plan for today. Breakfast consisted of a couple of egg/spinach/feta cheese burritos wrapped in spinach tortillas. It was delicious and quite filling, but I admit I whiffed on the tortilla selection. I didn't have the best selection in the world from which to choose so I selected what I thought was the best of several poor options. The laundry list of unpronounceable chemical compounds should have been my first red flag:
What IS this stuff?

Anyway I will do some homework and seek out a better option next time. I think the breakfast burrito is going to become a regular part of the breakfast rotation. It was very tasty, clean, and kept me satisfied for most of the morning. A mid-morning snack today consisted of a mixed bag of cashews, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, and raisins. So far, so good.

I had been looking forward to trying out a new sushi place that had several vegetarian friendly options for lunch. Today I would try the summer vegetable roll, a mixture of asparagus, seaweed, carrots, tomatoes, mango, cucumber and mixed greens wrapped in rice paper with a bowl of miso soup. The sushi was OK, but I was not keen on the flavor profile. Perhaps sushi just seems to taste better with a protein. I don't think I will be going for this one again. I'll try a different roll next time, possibly including a tuna or salmon option. A mid afternoon snack today was oatmeal with bananas, raisins, almond butter and a little honey. That helped ward off the hunger brought about by a light lunch. Dinner tonight was a homemade "burrito bowl" - brown rice, boiled sweet potato chunks, avocado, and a blend of black beans, chickpeas, and onion with a touch of salsa. I roasted some corn on the side as well.

As time goes on I'll have to look to vary the menu up a bit. I have a few things that I can fall back on but since the point of this exercise is to broaden my culinary horizons a little bit, and hopefully to support better and healthier running in the process, I can't keep going to the same stand-bys!   







No comments:

Post a Comment