CR

CR

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Skunk Run 2014 Recap

"Because sometimes, running stinks...."




I am not sure what began the legend of the Idiots Running Club Skunk Run. Tales are told of a trail run gone horribly awry, with runners venturing upon an unwitting skunk who, shall we say, imparted upon them a very unwelcome and fetid present. Or perhaps because in this particular corner of Southern Missouri skunks are said to get as big as small bears. While I can't entirely sort out what is a folk tale and what is reality, what I can say is that the Idiots Running Club Skunk Run is one heck of a good time. 

A few weeks ago I considered making the trip back up to Springfield. I was in the area back in 2012 for the Frisco Railroad Marathon, a race run on a rails-to-trails course in Willard, Missouri (just outside Springfield). It wasn't too bad a drive for someone accustomed to road trips. From North Texas, you can make it in around 7 or 8 hours. When I went up for the marathon I drove up the night before, ran the race, showered, and drove back home afterward. If I could do it then, why not now? I also now have the great gift now of several friends in the area who were gracious enough to open their homes to me. Once the logistical details were worked out, it was a done deal. 

I had the very good fortune to spend the evening with a wonderful family in Protem, Missouri. I had the chance to meet them at Rocky Raccoon and get to know them a little bit but there's nothing like seeing someone in their own environment. They had a beautiful home in the country, and seeing them in their element with their children and grandchildren was truly a gift for which I am very grateful. 

The day of the run was perfect from the start. The morning was crisp and cool. There were a number of familiar faces in attendance - familiar from online friendships developed in our little Facebook group. (Yes, Facebook people are real people too!) The first 15-20 minutes involved setting things up and hugging people. Lots of hugging. I can't say enough about the hospitality of the group. After a quick pep talk and some course directions from the head Idiot himself, David Murphy, everyone set out onto the course.


Warming up around the fire and getting ready to start

So, about the course. David did a great job of constructing a course that provided everyone with an opportunity to get the most out of the day based on their ability. This event brought runners and walkers together from across the running spectrum - runners, walkers, new trail runners, experienced runners - and there was something for everyone. He set up several loops of various distances and elevation profiles that would allow anyone to get out on the trails and have a good time. I ran 3 loops - the 6 mile loop, the 11 mile loop, then the 6 mile loop again. I would cross paths with a number of people during the course of the day but my running companion for the run was Glenn McDaniel, a running coach from Oklahoma. It did not take long for us to realize that yes, we were running in the mountains, and that if we were not interested in climbing and descending, then we had come to the wrong place......


Some of the climbs required hiking...

Not sure if the picture does this little "hill" justice.

For me, this day was about taking "inventory" as I look forward to Miwok 100k in a few weeks in California. While I have logged a ton of miles over the last few months one thing I have not done is climb. Given Miwok's notorious elevation profile, I wanted to see if I could handle repetitive climbs and descents. David's course was exactly what I needed as for all intents and purposes there are no "flats" on the longer loops. One is either climbing or descending the entire way. I felt I handled the elevation very well - I was not winded at all and even on the most challenging climbs my heart rate stayed in zone 2 (125-140 bpm).


More climbing...



The mountaintops afforded some lovely views.


Making friends on the trails is Mo' awesome!


I just thought this was funny.

The trails are packed dirt and gravel. Footing was a little tenuous on some of the steeper downhills, and the only option was walking in order to avoid what could potentially be a painful fall. There were also a number of rushing creeks that we had to cross. The course itself is well-marked and the organizers even went to the trouble of setting out some coolers with cold water for the participants. Yet I would still consider this a "minimalist" event. For the runner or hiker who wants to feel as if they are getting away from it all, this is the pace to be.


Meanwhile back at the camp...



No shortage of food!

When runners and walkers completed their appointed rounds, we were treated to some wonderful food and drink back at the camp. While the run itself was worth the drive up, it was the hospitality and friendliness of the people who came out that makes this event a real gem. Nobody was a stranger here. Folks came in from as far as Canada, Tennessee, Texas, and mixed with a number of locals from around the area who came out to this isolated campground to spend the day with a bunch of Idiots. 


New friends!

The online IRC community seems to grow each day as more runners find this little community to be a sanctuary where their running stories can be swapped, achievements celebrated, struggles shared, and questions posed without worry of judgement or ridicule. When I am asked about the IRC what I always say (and will continue to say) is that it is a fine group of caring people who happen to love to run. OK, love to run a lot. There's something to be said for finding a place where "everybody knows your name". I consider myself blessed to have found this group of people who value health, wellness, family, the outdoors, and yes, even love to run a little bit. This little non-event will definitely hold a recurring place on my annual calendar.


True!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment