CR

CR

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Tick Tock




When I was young I always enjoyed the every-so-often family get-together. It would usually take place at a relative's house (there seemed to be some sort of a rotation at play). Local family members would come together on a special occasion and celebrate with food, various activities, socialize, and if you were lucky enough to have the event at someone's house with a pool, you'd swim yourself into a stupor. Every few years we would have a coming together of family from various points on the map. Sometimes that would take place in Texas, my home at the time, or in another port of call home to more distant relatives. My memories of these special times are limited to mental snapshots - sort of a historical Instagram that exists only in my mind.

As the years have passed the elders of my family have either moved on or passed on. The get-togethers have become more sporadic as distances and life changes have kept my generation from making the time that previous generations made for each other. (Could this be a technology thing? Facebook making the family reunion obsolete? Something to ponder.) Whether or not this is a good thing I don't know. Yet in whatever way we are able, we do keep up with one another and exchange the family news of the day.

The thing about time is that it never stands still. It continues on. In those days, my parents and their siblings were the age that I am now. The time has gone by so quickly that it's almost difficult to process how I came to this point. It is almost a universal sentiment that time seemingly flies by faster as you age and I have certainly noticed this to be true. The recent passings of my mother-in-law and a coworker have only crystallized my thoughts that our lives are fleeting. I heard someone use the phrase "the ending is nearer than you think." I do not think this is a call to despair, rather a reminder. There is an end to our story - but right now it is still being written. 

As I mourn the passing of relatives who have moved on, I also celebrate the birth of the next generations. I look with profound joy as others start their own families and welcome children into our extended family. I hope I get the chance to meet them all! And who knows, maybe there's even a future trail runner or 2 in there somewhere....











No comments:

Post a Comment