CR

CR

Friday, May 16, 2014

Gratitude

Today's schedule presented me with a recovery run, an easy day that keeps my heart rate low and allows me to get a few miles in while still allowing my muscles to recover from a harder workout yesterday (a 9 mile higher tempo run). I am still in a recovery cycle from my last race a couple weeks ago so in general my mileage is low and I am trying not to push too hard. It's going very well. I feel great and I'm starting to feel some bounce in my legs again as the miles begin to come effortlessly.

Since we have been blessed with unseasonably cool weather, particularly in the morning, my last couple runs have been very pleasant. I've had the chance to reconnect with a couple of my local running clubs and spend time touching base with friends. Today's run was a solo effort and gave me the chance to reflect on where I am today. My thoughts also drifted to where I want to go. I have set some pretty lofty goals for the next several months and years involving events large (Boston Marathon) and small (a local 5k), epic (the Tejas Trails 300) and very ambitious (the Ultra Grand Slam and UTMB). Hey, I dream big.  

But even with all of that, in the midst of my daydreaming, the word that came to mind today was grateful. Grateful for the ability to get out every day and enjoy this amazing sport. Grateful for the health that allows me to travel long distances on foot. Grateful for a family that supports my particular brand of lunacy. Grateful for friends that offer support, advice, and a listening ear. 

Today I was grateful to be able to lace them up, to dream big, and enjoy an easy run at home on a cool spring morning. It's a simple thing to be sure. But sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Running Shoes Sketch by DanDantheArtMan






1 comment:

  1. Wow I never expected to see one of my drawings used on another website. Cool! Thanks for the attribution.

    ReplyDelete