CR

CR

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Driven to Distraction


“As with our colleges, so with a hundred ‘modern improvements;’ there is an illusion about them; there is not always a positive advance. The devil goes on exacting compound interest to the last for his early share and numerous succeeding investments in them. Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end, an end which it was already but too easy to arrive at...”  ― Henry David Thoreau


Over the course of a few posts that I have sprinkled in over the last year or so, I've off-and-on lamented my own personal struggles with focus, distractions, and how these relate to both my personal and my running life. I've tried to crystallize my thoughts in some sort of a coherent manner but I haven't felt like I have quite "nailed it".

Enter Duncan Callahan. Duncan is a fellow ultrarunner - but, unlike me, he lives in the mountains, is very fast, and is very elite. (We seem to at least share a love of trail and torch, so I guess we have at least that in common.) Anyway, Duncan recently authored a post on his blog that helped me to take a step forward in my own contemplation of my place in this very loud, very stressed-out world that we inhabit today. It has to do with distracted living - how, for most of us, our attention is constantly divided between various media streams, activities, responsibilities, hobbies, and other obligations. Add to that our desire to compete and perform at our best and it's almost a wonder that we get anything accomplished at all. It was certainly something that spoke to me! 

My thoughts on the subject have certainly forced me to become more introspective of late. I am compelled to take a look in the mirror and ask myself if these ideas that seem to keep recurring in my psyche are going to remain strictly conceptual or, at some point, become more concrete? Am I going to appreciate the ideals of simple living from afar or actually embrace them, such as I am able given my vocation? How can taking the time to quiet my mind improve my own running, improve my focus out on the trail and make my time spent training and racing more enjoyable and rewarding? 

Getting back to Duncan's post. While it isn't about simple living or minimalism specifically, what it does touch on is, in my opinion, an important precursor. That being, allowing ourselves the time to reflect upon and consider our priorities. Are we so busy with minds moving in so many directions at one time that we don't take time to just "be"? The answer for me is an unqualified YES. Between regularly checking multiple email addresses for personal and business use, developing and maintaining contacts and relationships through various forms of social media, perusing various blogs and online articles pertinent to both business and pleasure, consuming news and media updates, blogging, following local sports teams...and these activities aren't even essential to my daily life. Throw in going to work every day, spending time with my wife and children, maintaining a household, trying to have some sort of a spiritual life, and yes, train as a competitive athlete - and this list is still far from complete! 

I'm not trying to come across as someone who has it all figured out. In fact, it's the exact opposite. I feel that most days scream along at a breakneck pace with my mind and body simply being tossed about by endless diversions. So with all of that being said, I have chosen to spend the month of May paring down the noise just a bit. I'm removing all social media apps from mobile devices, setting aside the daily news and information streams for a while, and restricting the amount of time and times of the day that I access my email. I am going to read, listen to music, and pick up a few other hobbies that I've enjoyed over the years.


One of said hobbies that I intend to enjoy again....
But most importantly, I am going to learn to sit and be still again. To sit with God. To come and listen. I have much to consider. And much to be thankful for as well. I'll close with Duncan's closing statement:


"Here’s to building focus and calming the mind."

Well said, sir. Well said.


Running Stuff

With Boston now behind me, it's time for a little R&R. I've actually been in a rest phase for a couple weeks now if you include my taper before Boston. Outside of a few easy miles today I haven't run at all since Patriot's Day, choosing to allow my legs to fully recover. Unfortunately my run today was so/so, with my quads and hamstrings not feeling nearly ready to fully engage yet. I did enjoy a perfect morning to get a few miles in, so that was a plus, but it was obvious to me that more rest is required. Things will stay very easy for another week or so before my coach and I start working in some light strength work to begin setting a foundation for our Grindstone 100 training plan. I'm glad for the break - and it couldn't come at a more appropriate time. It will fit very well with my "Month of Focus" in May. I hope to be completely rested mentally, physically, and spiritually when the real grind starts in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment