CR

CR

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

2015 Prairie Spirit 100: Running Through The Kansas Countryside


Left to right: Kathy, Kerri, Justin, Jeff, Josh, Lesley, David, Shane, Derek.
Make no mistake: the Prairie Spirit 100 mile Endurance Run in Ottawa, Kansas is flat. And by flat, I mean it makes Fort Worth look like the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are some gently rolling hills, to be sure - but none of them managed to make the cut along the rail-to-trail course that runs between the towns of Ottawa and Iola. The course navigates through several small towns along the way - towns whose residents, I am certain, shared a mixture of dismay and admiration toward the hearty folks who would undertake such an endeavor. Yet in typical Kansas fashion their support was undeniable, and the race, a low-key affair if ever there was one, certainly benefits from their down-home hospitality.

And another thing about Kansans is that they seem to really appreciate the beauty of the straight line. Whether one is looking at the borders of this state - a nearly perfect rectangle - the layouts of its streets and highways, or even the course chosen for this endurance run, straight lines are the order of the day. Prairie Spirit is a direct out-and-back course that allows the runner to literally see for miles in front of and behind them. It is the American heartland in all its glory, where the wind cuts you like a knife and where the sky seems to go on forever. 


The lovely skies of Kansas. (distancebetweencities.net)
I ventured to Kansas to offer whatever support I could muster for several friends who were participating in the 100-mile run. My primary focus would be on my friend Justin McCune who was gunning for his first 100-mile buckle, but I would be no less enthusiastic about my support for my local running buddy Josh Witte and a friend of mine from Missouri, Shane Naugher. I won't deliver a blow-by-blow recount here - the runners did a much better job in their recaps than I could hope to provide - but there were a few "takeaways" that were of note for me.

To begin with, regarding the course: Yes, it is flat. And it could be fast; however, such a profile would encourage the inclination to push too hard, too soon. It would be very easy to do. There is really no challenge in the terrain whatsoever. The course is crushed gravel, wide enough to drive a train through (which, in fact, they once did) and has zero technicality to it at all. The difficulty comes in maintaining an easy pace early on and in staying mentally focused. There are a couple long stretches without a manned aid station (there are water stops without crew or volunteer support) that can make the miles between supported aid stations seem endless. There is nothing on the trail that provides much visual interest unless one is excited by the prospect of cows, tall grass, or varieties of midwestern shrubbery. Other than that, it's a long, straight repetitious jaunt. 

For the first half of the race, my support would come solely in the form of aid station support. This was great for me because I LOVE working aid stations. Meeting the other crews, helping the runners, and offering some positive energy to someone who is having a tough time are what make being around these events so special to me. I would bounce between aid stations with my teams (team IRC and team Witte, as I fondly remember them) enjoying what was becoming a beautiful day and taking in the race with my friends. It was a great experience, and for those who have not volunteered or crewed at an ultra, I will say again: DO IT.


With David Murphy. Photo credit: Kerri Willis-Kerr


Foreground: David, Derek, and Jeff. Photo credit: Kerri Willis-Kerr


My aid station buddies Kathy and Kerri of team IRC.
The second half of the race was a bit more choppy but certainly no less satisfying. The original plan was for me to run with Justin for 25 miles before turning him over to the very capable Jeff Jones (my man from Leadville) who would bring him in to the finish; however, some difficulties over on Team Witte necessitated a quick wardrobe change and some pacing duties for my buddy Josh for a few miles. Jeff was gracious and we made a change in plans so I could jump in with Josh. Jeff would now run with Justin for 25 miles and I would run with him to the finish. It was a plan that would work well for everyone and I was grateful for their flexibility. I geared up, and when Josh rolled in to the aid station at mile 50 in Iola, Lesley (who was crewing Josh all day and would pace him later through the night) patched him up and refilled his supplies. After a short rest we set out. Josh and I spent a few hours out there covering around 12 miles together. I will not soon forget the time I spent with Josh, and helping him get through a tough spell further strengthened my belief that those of us silly enough to attempt these crazy events really do speak a special language out on the trail.


Storming the trail with Josh.
After getting Josh settled down and back in a good rhythm, my attention turned back to Justin. I would be hooking up with him shortly after parting ways with Josh, so I needed to be prepared for a long night in rapidly falling temperatures. I had time to catch a quick nap, eat a decent meal, and get caffeinated (very important!). Preparation is key at times like this, and I felt pretty confident that I had my bases covered - Justin was the priority and if I needed to carry him to the finish line, emotionally or otherwise, I would see it done. 

The aid station where I would meet up Josh and Justin was very appropriately a converted train depot in Garnett, Kansas. Appropriate, because Justin and Jeff blew into Garnett like a freight train. "We're good, we're going!" Jeff exclaimed as he and Justin grabbed a quick bite to eat, checked in, and got moving. The speed at which they moved, given that Justin was 75 miles into a 100 mile footrace, was amazing. I was certainly caught off guard - there was no way I couldn't have been, as it is rare that any pacing tandem this far into a race exhibited so much energy - but they did, and they were off again. 

Now, I am not one who would consider myself a big believer in "fate". I am certainly not big on coincidences, and if there is a higher power watching over things, I am pretty sure he has more pressing matters to handle than this little event in the Kansas hinterlands. But I will say that, in retrospect, this race unfolded exactly as it should have. Over the rest of the evening, I was doing exactly what I needed to do - resting legs tired by consecutive weeks of tough racing, meeting and supporting Josh, Shane, and Justin at the aid stations through the night and into the following morning, helping the other aid station crews and runners as much as I could, and being there at the finish line to offer my most heartfelt congratulations to them as they finished. Did I want to run? Sure, what runner doesn't want to be out there in the game? But it wasn't my time or place. Jeff was outstanding, and exactly what Justin needed. I think I was able to do more at the aid stations for my teams than I could have out on the trail. And in the end, they all buckled. Major props to all those guys who gave it all they had. It was certainly a sight to behold.

As each one of our guys finished (along with a few new friends I made out on the trail that day) I was able to see the sheer joy and exhaustion that comes from doing what many believe cannot be done. It inspires me to my core and reinforces my belief that there are those who won't be held bound by the status quo and who will strive to do the impossible. Congrats to both of my teams and to everyone who ran this race. I'm thrilled to have had the chance to hang out with so many fine folks and I can't wait for the next one....



Justin doing what many believe can't be done. Photo credit: Kerri Willis-Kerr.


Notes: My congrats also go out to Shane and Gary, who both finished with impressive times as well. Shane was moving so quickly down the trail that I often missed him at the aid stations. He was being paced by Derek Glos, a super tough and speedy runner who took 1st overall in the Mark Twain 100 last year, and the great David Murphy, who needs no introduction. They were a great team. Shane ended up finishing 7th overall. Gary was also from our Team IRC group and somehow I kept missing him at the aid stations. Yet he persevered and buckled, much to the admiration of the team and all involved in his day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment