CR

CR

Friday, August 1, 2014

Longevity



Gordy Ainsleigh. (photo from www.runrace.net)
A quick thought for today...Not long ago I came across an interview with an elite distance runner and favorite of the ultrarunning community, Timothy Olson. Tim is renowned not only for his amazing gifts and speed when running mountain races (he holds the course record at the prestigious Western States 100 for goodness sake) but also for his reputation as approachable, friendly, and very humble. I had the good fortune to watch Tim cross the finish line (or should I say, "Kiss the Rock") at the Hard Rock 100 Endurance Run this year. It was an amazing display of overcoming tremendous difficulties to almost literally crawl to the finish line - a humbling experience to be sure for someone of his pedigree!


Tim Olson, having just made it back to Silverton - 2014 HR100.

Anyway, Tim was asked by the interviewer whether the suffering he has experienced in his races has helped him grow as a person. I loved his answer: "If I felt I was playing Russian Roulette, I'd quit this in a heartbeat. I have no clue how long I'll do this, but I plan to be in the mountains the rest of my life."

When I sit back sometimes and ponder how long I will do this, I come to the same conclusion. I have absolutely no idea. I hope that I am fortunate enough to be able to enjoy it for many years to come. I am asked from time to time whether I'll be doing this in 5 years, 10 years, or beyond. I wish I knew. (For that matter, I wish I could guarantee that I won't get hit by a bus today!) 

Having been a runner for a number of years now has given me a little bit of perspective upon which I can draw when I am feeling contemplative. I am fully aware that there may come a time and a very good reason to step away - whether because of injury, illness, burnout, or other life events that may command my time and attention. My thinking is that I will be involved in the sport in some way for many more years; but since nothing is assured, I will do my best to live in this present moment and make the most of it. 


Wisdom and joy arise when you learn to exist now rather than in the nonexistent past or future. —Thich Nhat Hanh


So whether I am fortunate to have the career of a Gordy Ainsleigh or David Horton, or whether I am resigned to a few good years of running before I back off and decide to spend many more years hiking the trails, I'll enjoy the ride while I can. Right now I'm having a blast - and I will have to let the future take care of itself.


With running legend David Horton, in Colorado.



EPILOGUE 

Saturday, August 2, 2014 - 34 miles, Northshore Trail Loop

Today's long run involved running a few loops around nearby Grapevine Lake. It's a twisty, gnarly single-track trail used by local hikers, nature enthusiasts, trail runners and mountain bikers seeking an escape from hurried city life. It's a tranquil place to escape for a couple hours - or in my case this morning, 7 hours. 

In the course of my run I met a gentleman named Jay Norman. Jay was one of the founding members of the North Texas Trail Runners club. He's in his mid-70's and doesn't quite get around like I am sure he once did, but the fact that he was out there hiking a trail he's been enjoying for 25 years made quite an impression on me. We walked for a couple of miles together swapping stories and enjoying an unseasonably cool morning. It turns out that Jay has completed over 200 ultramarathons all over the world, which is an astonishing feat in itself - and yet more amazing is that Jay didn't start running ultras until he was 47! His advice to me was to enjoy the sport while my body is young enough to allow me to do so. He wished his body would allow him to have the adventures he once enjoyed, but age (he acknowledged) had caught up with him. 

Thanks for your friendship and your stewardship of this great sport Jay, and may the trails continue to be kind to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment