CR

CR

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Let's Hear It For The Here And Now

In an observation that is somewhat related to my previous reflection on longevity.....

I noticed that he sports world was abuzz this past weekend when a young Irishman named Rory McIlroy won golf's PGA Championship, held this year at Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky. It's not unusual that he won this particular tournament - someone has to win, after all - but it's the fact that Rory has won 3 prestigious tournaments in a row (including 2 majors - the British Open and the PGA) among several other dominating performances over the past few years that has caused many in the golf-verse to hail him as the next "big thing" in professional golf. Speculation was running rampant among the myriad of reporters at the news conference after his stunning performance as to how many majors this young man could and would win. He hadn't even taken his hat off after his spectacular finishing round and the questions were already out there - could he top Tiger Woods's 14 major championship victories? Or Jack Nicklaus's 18?


Rory McIlroy hoisting the famed Wanamaker Trophy at Valhalla. (Source)
Whether because we're anxious to move on to the next news cycle, or perhaps because we bore easily in these days of short attention spans, it seems that as a society we're loathe to celebrate the moment and appreciate the here and now in favor of looking ahead to what may be around the corner. In Rory's case, there was not much time to appreciate his late-round charge that propelled him to victory before he was peppered with questions about next year's major tournaments. "Can you win the Masters?" "Can you catch Tiger's 14?" "How many do you think you'll win?" he was asked.

I appreciated Rory's candor in his answers. He was humble, very personable, and very clear that at least HE would take some time to savor the moment. Yes he wants to continue his run of success. Of course he has long-term goals. Yet despite the bright future he has before him, he would appreciate what the game has given him and reflect on the heights that he has reached at the very young age of 25.  

In October of 2013 I had the good fortune to accomplish a goal that had eluded me since I began my running journey back in 2000 - qualifying for the Boston Marathon. I had just completed a 3:10 marathon which was (and remains) my best time in this distance by a wide margin. As I crossed the finish line I was ecstatic; and yet, it seemed that only minutes had passed when my mind turned to the question, "I wonder if I could finish a 100 miler?" Before the ink had dried on my finisher's certificate I had begun working toward the next goal, the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile, which was at the time only 4 months away. Then upon accomplishing a successful finish in that event, my restless mind quickly turned to one of my dream races: the Miwok 100k in San Francisco, run later that spring.



I think that as a general rule, runners (especially those of us who are drawn to runs that are measured over hours and days rather than minutes) have a hard time sitting still. I am certainly in that category. Our souls are always searching for the next race, oftentimes endlessly perusing websites and social media for opportunities to chase our dreams. I for one have a hard time living in the here and now. My thoughts frequently wander to my next goal race, the next adventure, and the next training cycle - often at the expense of THIS moment, which may be mundane or may be extraordinary; but either way, it is entirely unique.

It may be a cliche, but I am beginning to realize with each passing day that being in the present moment is of enormous importance in order to truly experience one's life. I am always impressed by some of today's young athletes (ultrarunners included) who seem wise beyond their years, and are remarkably grounded and humble despite their fame and (sometimes) fortune. Perhaps younger generations have a better appreciation than I did at that age that a singular moment can and should be savored. At any rate, I am glad that I've had the chance to realize through personal experience that there are times and places that need to be appreciated before rushing on to something else.

There's always a time to turn the page but perhaps it might be worthwhile to slow down every once in a while and just take it all in. Even if one does't get the chance to hoist a Wanamaker Trophy above their head like one Rory McIlroy. 



"As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
- Ben Hogan

No comments:

Post a Comment