CR

CR

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Here we go again....


We're now just a few short days away from the Vermont 100, the second race in the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning series, and my first shot at redemption after my Western States DNF a few short weeks ago. I have been balancing the desire to go up there and really push the issue (in other words, go for a PR) with the reality of the fact that I am not quite completely recovered 100% from States yet. Plus, I think it really behooves me to slow it down and just get a 100-mile finish on the board for 2017.

I'm not afraid to admit that my confidence is a little shaky. In a few days we'll know how all this will have played out, but as of right now my inability to manage calorie intake and maintain some semblance of a balanced energy level throughout a 100 miler has definitely put a damper on any enthusiasm I might otherwise have had about this one. The course looks like it might be a trail that favors my strengths - but right now I am not even sure what my strengths are!

The plan for Vermont is going to be very simple compared to the highly detailed volume I produced for Western States. What it boils down to is that I need to do a better job of staying on top of my calories, walk (briskly) the uphill sections, and comfortably run the downhills. The word "hammer" should never enter my mind until maybe the last 10-15 miles. I'll have a great crew and pacer who will take care of me. I want to try as much as I can to enjoy my first trip to the New England countryside. And at the end of it all, to COME HOME WITH A BUCKLE.

It doesn't get much simpler than that. I will review the aid stations, the elevation chart, and lay out a food plan. But I am not going to beat myself up about splits or goal times or anything like that. Sure I would love to finish in under 24 hours (a goal that I think is attainable) but this isn't the #1 priority. As I have learned (painfully) - you have to take what the day gives you and roll with it.

I am looking forward to publishing a positive race report for a 100 miler again! It seems that the tough ones are becoming all too frequent. Here's hoping that a week from now I will be doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment