CR

CR

Friday, June 10, 2016

Rolling the Dice

For the past month or so I have allowed myself a bit of a break from social media, which has come to include some time away from blogging as well. There honestly hasn't been much to report outside of taking some recovery time after the race in Boston and working on some standard "rebuild" training regimens that are all just a part of the grind of staying in shape. I have been considering a few topics for future posts - like how we seem to "insulate" ourselves from the natural world and how we try to keep nature in comfortable boxes, my growing disdain for technology and being constantly wired-in (I am becoming the "old man" who shakes his fist at those kids today and their newfangled contraptions), and why I think this guy is all wrong. Among other things.



For now though, I think it is worth mentioning that my racing calendar has changed a bit. I have decided to forego the Captain Karl's night time trail series and step up and have a go at the Mohican Trail 100 in Ohio next weekend. My training, while unspectacular in terms of overall mileage, has been steady in the weeks since Boston. My only goal is to finish the race and  achieve my Western States qualifier for 2017 rather than to wait until the Javelina 100 in Arizona in late October. That could free up my time to go back to a race I have come to love to hate, that fall rite of passage known as the Cactus Rose 100, down in Bandera. 

Of course, I have to finish this monster first. My plan is to dial it way back, work on in-race nutrition and hydration, and try to achieve more of a balanced race than what I have done in my 100's in the past. But outside of that, just keep moving forward. I will take plenty of pics and provide a race recap that future runners can use as a reference - a recap that will hopefully include a shiny buckle at the finish. Dream big! 1 week until race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment