CR

CR

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Things are looking up!



I've got to admit it's getting better,
A little better all the time....
-The Beatles


I'm pleased to report that things are healing up nicely after the tough race of a couple weeks ago. The scratches and scrapes have almost disappeared, the aches and pains suffered at the hands of the rocks at Reveille Peak Ranch are healing up, and I've been able to resume challenging workouts again. This week saw most of my efforts focused on the treadmill as I have been working on climbing - incline workouts at 12% and higher, mainly hiking, but with a little running thrown in. I've been able to top 3,000' of climbing with each workout which has helped me from a mental standpoint in that I feel a little more prepared for the long climbs I'll face in Virginia. 

While my logistical preparations for the race are still in the early stages - I still have not decided on a nutrition plan, I am still collecting information about the aid stations, and as of now I do not have a pacer - I am at least starting to feel like I will at least approach the starting line rested and healthy. I'll pick up the mileage a bit this week and next, aiming for the 60 mile range before easing off on race week. There's not much I can do now except maintain my current level of fitness. There's no reason to risk getting injured or over trained while trying to cram in too many miles in advance of race day.

I made a comment to close my race recap at Reveille Peak Ranch that may have given the impression that I may not be completely confident in my abilities to rise to the occasion and meet this upcoming challenge. While I thought about editing it, I let it stand; the fact is, I don't exactly know how I am going to get there and back again. But I am working on it. Physically, I can do it. Mentally, I can do it. What it will come down to is a matter of working through the plan and showing up ready to let my body do what it knows how to do. To relax, remain in the moment, and grind it out. 

I've been reading over a few race reports and trail recon posts that go into some detail about the technicality of the course and the challenges of the frequent climbs and descents. I'll begin my preparations accordingly. I borrowed a couple of trail pics to add below. I look forward to taking some of my own pictures to tell the story of this amazing event. 

I'm excited about getting this process started! Or as Sherlock Holmes would say, "The game is afoot!!"

Wild Oak Trail. (valhallase.com)

Reddish Knob. (iseetrails.wordpress.com)

A breathtaking view of the Virginia mountains. (http://changultraadventures.blogspot.com/2014/10/grindstone-100-race-report-2014.html)





No comments:

Post a Comment