CR

CR

Friday, July 24, 2015

Well, there's that....

Well, I have good news and bad news on the great vegetarian experiment of 2015. The good news is that I made it 21 days! The bad news is I only made it 21 days. Unfortunately after 3 weeks I found myself completely uninspired by my dietary options, eating bland foods with relatively low caloric density. I was hungry all the time - not surprising, considering I was trying to fuel my aggressive training schedule with quinoa and bean sprouts (ok that's slight hyperbole, but it certainly seemed that way). I might be able to make this work with some full-time help from a dietitian or nutrition expert - or a lot more time on my part to do the research and planning myself.

The thing is, I am not now and have not been for a couple of years what one might consider a full-on "carnivore". Meat has been, for me, more of a side dish or garnish than a main course. I still consider myself plant-based in my dietary choices. Yet meat products do add essential amino acids and proteins that are difficult to get elsewhere (there is vigorous debate on whether these nutrients can be obtained from plants, but all I can say is that I have noticed a difference in how I feel during my strength workouts - that's not scientific, it's just how I feel). My diet is pretty simple and straightforward anyway. I'm going on 3 years without significant injury, I feel lean and strong, I'm running very well...should I mess with a formula that clearly works for me?

There's also the question of the ethics of eating animals. Rather than go on and on about that here, I would just say that while I am acutely aware of the problems inherent in the industrial farming practices and the mistreatment of animals for our food supply, I do believe there is another way that could be taken into consideration. 

In that regard, I do work hard to make sure my animal protein options come from responsibly farmed sources whenever possible. In many cases I pay a premium for this, but I believe it's worth it. I will still incorporate meatless days into my weekly routine in order to keep some variety in meal plans. That won't change. Nearly all of the meat I consume will be either chicken or fish (like it was before). My focus will still be on eating lean and clean.  

So like I said, there's that. I've gone down this road before and it may just not be for me. And that's OK. Who knows, I may have a go at it again sometime. I'll continue to look for ways to get better, eat better, and recover better. But for now I'm taking down my NMA badge. Although I still like to consider myself running on plants, for the mean time that will also include occasionally enjoying "not-plants" as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment