CR

CR

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Rest & Recovery Thoughts



After a pretty grueling few months of training and racing, I am in the process of enjoying (or trying to enjoy) some well-earned downtime. I didn't do anything last week at all running-wise, choosing to let my body completely rest and hopefully resolve some of the aches and pains I earned out on the trails in Huntsville and Bandera. I'm still pretty worn out and need to respect my recovery. While I have started to run again this week, albeit gingerly, I am keeping things slow with an emphasis on "easy". There's a reason why my motto is "Run. Rest. Repeat."

While in dry dock, I've given more thought to the idea of trying to live an uncluttered life. I believe in order to lead an uncluttered life, one must first be committed to the idea of having an uncluttered mind. In this day and age, and given my place in this world, it sometimes seems that is virtually impossible. I can't say it is certainly impossible because I have not really tried yet - but it does seem with the endless distractions that constantly clamor for my attention, be they work related, home/life related, or in social settings (real world and virtual, so to speak), learning to keep the mind quiet and at peace is fighting quite an uphill battle.

As my recovery continues and as Lent approaches, I am considering how I can do some mental and spiritual spring-cleaning. Perhaps wean myself off of social media for a time? Make time in the mornings and evenings for just a few minutes of stillness? Reduce the amount of negative noise that I allow into my consciousness, whether through music, radio, or other such media? I enjoy listening to music when I run, but is that a luxury I can do without for a while to further reduce the "voices in my head"? Can I allow myself to shut off the cell phone - the apparent nexus of 21st century social activity - for a few weeks when not in necessary situations?

Any and all of these ideas are on the table, along with a few others. There's just so much noise in the world today - endless advertisements, mindless talking, and constant stimulation all vie for our attention. Before long we'll have televisions strapped to our heads. (No joke - this technology is not far away.) How can I carve out some sort of an oasis in the midst of the chaos?

It's coming! (www.pbs.org)
I know there's a simpler way. I know it exists, and that many people, whether in the midst of a bustling city or out in a quiet country town, are living a life of quiet, conscious mindfulness and detachment. I've read about them, read their works, and even met some of them. Not all of it is genuine, but when something genuine is found, it is easy to recognize. Would anyone question the clarity of mind, purity of heart, and singleness of purpose of Mother Teresa of Calcutta? Her ministry took her to the darkest places of the busiest cities of the world. It was only through a clear, uncluttered, prayerful mind that she was able to reach into the depths of that darkness and remain clean herself - bringing, in fact, light to all of those around her.


I have so much to learn on this subject. It would seem that learning to untangle from the daily twists and turns of daily life would be relatively easy. For some, I'm sure it is. But for me it's truly an art form as complicated as, say, learning to paint or play a musical instrument. It requires daily refreshment and practice. All too often I seem to lose my momentum and end up back at square one. In such times, I can turn to God for healing and peace. I can look to the examples of the saints who fell like the rest of us but continued to get up and press on with their heavenly commission.  And I will recall my love of running. I'll remember the simple act of allowing myself to simply move and to breathe. Hopefully in those times I will have the mental clarity to recall this journey that I am on, to appreciate the simple beauty and joy around me, and turn the volume down on everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment