CR

CR

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Changing Directions

Mission Accomplished! (Image: teambonding.com)



"Perhaps I am stronger than I think."
-Thomas Merton




I've been fortunate to have experienced a number of pretty amazing things in my "side-life" as a runner. From 5k's to marathons and beyond, major big city races with thousands of spectators to small town races with just a few loved ones at the finish line, from road races to trail runs, from the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat - I've just about covered the entire spectrum. It's been a wild ride, and I've been blessed beyond measure to have been able to be a part of it. To be honest, I didn't really see how it could get any wilder. What new frontiers could the future hold?

Then on December 3rd, 2016, things got crazy. So crazy in fact that I felt it was worth breaking my sabbatical from the blogosphere, if nothing else, to chronicle the craziness for the sake of posterity:

Because on December 3rd, I was accepted into the Western States 100 Endurance Run.

And on December 10th, I signed up for the 2017 Grand Slam of Ultrarunning.

To say that this is a challenge for which I am wholly unprepared would be an understatement of elephantine proportions. The struggles I have had to overcome in past ultramarathons will pale in comparison to the extremes of heat/cold, altitude, remoteness, and fatigue that are sure to be the norm as I make my way over the 400 miles of the Slam.

And yet, here we are! The real work will begin soon as the holidays wrap up and the new calendar year begins. There will be a period of strength training and moderate mileage that will build into longer miles and climbing (LOTS of climbing). There will be planning for nutrition and hydration. I will need to be prepared to handle the pounding downhills at Western States, the altitude at Leadville, the relentless mountains at Wasatch, and the....well, the covered bridges at Vermont? (I have to admit I don't know much about Vermont yet.)








Right now I am keeping pace with some light running and some easy strength and core work. I'll keep track of some of my thoughts and my training notes here as the year progresses.  The key focus right now is to rest. Keep it easy. Begin laying a good foundation for the hard work to come.

Let the games begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment